A concrete block is the basic building material for constructions of structures like walls, etc. Concrete blocks tend to have cavities and the sides either are smooth or have a design. Concrete blocks have been around in some form or since the ancient times. Manufacturing process of these blocks has gone through many changes over the years and now there are concrete Block making machines.
What are concrete blocks?
Concrete blocks are made from a mixture of powdered cement, water, sand, and gravel. The method of production includes four basic processes like mixing, molding, curing, and cubing. There are Concrete block machines that manufacture these blocks at a rate of over 2000 blocks an hour.
Statistics and facts
As per transparency market research 2017, global demand for concrete blocks in Asia Pacific was 1,616 billion units, with Europe coming second highest and Latin America next. Demand is rising at a CAGR of 3.5% during the period 2017 to 2027.
- Concrete Block and Brick Manufacturing demand likely to Reach 2769.24 Billion units by the year 2027.
- A large percentage of the world’s architectural wonders were built with concrete blocks.
- They are fire resistant and also not affected by earthquakes or sound.
- Main reason architects & builders prefer this is because of its beauty, durability and versatility.
- Concrete blocks are in use since ancient Roman times and are in use even more now.
- Cavity walls made with these bricks can reduce the water penetration problem.
- They cause least harm to the environment during the manufacturing process.
- They require lessor insulation as compared to other building materials. This is because it does not absorb heat.
- This type of material is easy to recycle since it does not emit toxic flames when set on fire and do not emit volatile gasses.
- Buildings constructed with this material tend to last for thousands of years without major issues.
- The designers love it due to versatility and design appeal.
- Concrete blocks account for over 70% of the buildings and also have low insurance costs with a high resale value.
- It is popular all over the world.
- It is tough, durable and even withstand a tornado and other extreme weather conditions.
There is an increasing demand for concrete blocks in several the construction industry. These are available in various shapes and sizes; and make it easy to create desirable structures. Here is a list of applications for concrete blocks:
- Block Walls: They are often useful in making block walls and there are many benefits of doing so. This type of block is useful for both commercial and residential properties.
- Security Barriers: Concrete blocks are often used as security barriers. The way they do this is by lining them up side by side and keep both people and vehicles out of a certain area. There is an increase in use of this during special events as well. They are also often used for traffic control in many other places.
Thus, there are still a large number of structures being constructed using concrete blocks and the demand is only likely to increase in the future. There are various benefits of using them. They have been in use since more than a century. Concrete bricks are stronger than simple cement and hence it is the most ideal material for a foundation of a site or construction basements and walls. The change in temperature does not affect such material, thus they are suited for any weather. The fact that it costs lesser and is environmentally friendly is an added advantage. This material has proven to stand the test of time as well. The concrete making machinery is also in demand as are the Hollow Blocks Making Machine and concrete paver machines.